Thailand is one of the most attractive destinations for foreign nationals and residents of other countries. Foreigners come to the Kingdom not only to relax but also to invest in real estate in Thailand to rent or live there in winter. For this reason, information on the visa regime and the maximum length of time you’re allowed to stay remains relevant.
- Visa regime between Thailand and other countries
- Do foreigners need a visa to visit Thailand?
- Requirements to visit the Kingdom during the COVID-19 pandemic?
- How to get a Thai visa?
- Can you obtain a visa or residence permit for real estate investments?
- How to stay in Thailand for more than 30 days
- Vacation in Thailand for over 90 days
- Extension of stay for more than 90 days in Thailand
- We will help you buy real estate in Thailand
How many days can you stay in Thailand without a visa? No more than 30 days. This is enough to take a short vacation, explore the country, conduct business or buy a home through real estate agencies in Thailand. Foreign nationals are not permitted to work in the country when visiting for these reasons.
Several types of visa permits are available when visiting the Kingdom:
- A tourist visa allows tourists to enter the state once or twice and stay there over a period of 2 months.
- Multiple semi-annual. This allows people to enter the Kingdom an unlimited number of times in six months, but the maximum duration of their stay is limited to 2 months.
- Non-Immigrant. This 90-day permit has 10 categories, depending on the purpose of the visit. These include business activities or investing in real estate or other assets.
It all depends on the time they plan to spend in the country. You can stay in Thailand for up to 30 days without an additional application. For longer stays, you need to complete the necessary documents. Those wishing to come to Thailand should pay attention to the restrictions imposed due to the pandemic. Unvaccinated travelers must quarantine for 10 days which they must pay the accommodation for. Foreign nationals can visit areas with a vaccination certificate «Sputnik V» without having to quarantine. The list of countries is established by law. At the beginning of 2022, these are Phuket, Krabi, Phang Nga, Koh Samui, Phangan, and Koh Tao. In other provinces, vaccinated persons are quarantined for 7 days.
To get into one of the zones permissible to visit, you must:
- Get a Thailand Pass certificate. Registration on the QR-code platform was introduced on November 1, 2021. Registration must be made no later than 7 days from the date of travel. This certificate is available for foreign nationals if they have a foreign passport, vaccination information and a reservation at a hotel included in the list of quarantine accommodation for foreigners.
- Apply for a visa if you plan to stay in Thailand for more than 30 days.
- Get medical insurance that covers the cost of treatment for covid. The minimum amount of cover should be $50,000.
When entering the state for up to 30 days, passports are stamped at the border. If a foreigner wants to stay in Thailand for longer, a one-time TR visa is issued with 60 days with an option to extend it to 90. Alternatively, you can apply for STV for up to 90 days. The latter can be extended twice in the Kingdom within a similar period.
To obtain a visa, you must:
- Fill out a questionnaire. This form is available on the visa center website.
- Have a foreign passport that’s valid for six months from the date of departure from the foreign country. For STV, a passport must be valid for 12 months.
- Have health insurance.
- Book and pay for a hotel for your quarantine period – 10 days for unvaccinated foreigners and 7 for vaccinated people, or provide a certificate of overseas property ownership.
- Have booked a return flight.
In some cases, you may need a bank statement with a balance of an amount equivalent to ฿20,000.
The sale of apartments in a new building in Thailand or a pre-owned home does not require the owner to have a permit or residence permit. However, Thailand Elite is a special program for investors. It allows them to quickly and easily apply for a long-term visa, with registration taking less than a month. Program participants can stay in the state at any time with a valid visa. However, they are required to notify the TPC company responsible for the program if their stay in the Kingdom exceeds 3 months.
If you have no visa, the easiest way to stay in the Kingdom for over a month is the Sandbox program for vaccinated travelers. In thus program, tourists can visit certain regions and not be quarantined. As the rules state, visitors must spend their nights in SHA Plus hotels for 7 days. This is an alternative to quarantine, as travel within the resort is unlimited during the day. Currently, a visa extension is available to tourists due to Covid. It allows them to extend the duration of their stay to 60 days. Documents are processed at the central immigration office at their place of residence.
It’s possible to extend a stay in Thailand to over 90 days on legal grounds. You can to stay in the Kingdom as a tourist for 30 days, visit an embassy of one of the neighboring countries before the end of this period and get a double visa for 60 days, which can be extended for another 30 days. Thus, the time spent in the country will be 4 months. In future, you can get this visa again or, in case of refusal, make a visa-free entry as a tourist and follow this scheme. Laos, Vietnam, and Malaysia are among the closest countries.
An STV valid for three months can be extended twice. Thus, the period of residence in the Kingdom increases to 9 months. Thailand Elite is another option available but requires additional investment. The packages provide a long-term residence permit for 5, 10, and 20 years, and they are relevant for those who plan to make Thailand their permanent residence or those who plan to live in the Kingdom for more than the winter. The program does not limit the period of stay in the country and the number of border crossings for departure and entry.
The disadvantage of the program is the investment required. For one person, it is $16,000, and for a married couple, it is $25,000. In addition to a longer stay in the state, participants receive additional privileges, from airport transfers to medical care.
In the catalog at Thailand-Real.Estate, you will find different options for real estate in Thailand for any taste. Our experts will help you buy an apartment in Thailand, provide you with information on how to choose housing, help you apply for visas and work permits, and also ensure a legitimate transaction.