Can foreigners get a mortgage loan in Thailand?

Can foreigners get a mortgage loan in Thailand?

Believe it or not, foreigners can get a mortgage loan in Thailand. Yes, an ordinary bank will not give a mortgage to a foreigner, but there are other options. Firstly, these mortgages cover only apartments in condominiums. Besides, the percentages are small. You must also make a deposit of at least 30% of the value of the property, and sometimes more.

However, if this is not a problem, some financial institutions are ready to offer you a loan. Here are a few basics you need to know:

  • These loans do not require a Thai work permit or a long-term visa.
  • Available for most nationalities.
  • Interest rates vary and you should contact the organization for details.
  • Covers only apartment buildings.

With these conditions in mind, here are the banks where foreigners can get a mortgage loan in Thailand.


Singapore-based UOB (United Overseas Bank) has an international loan program that allows individuals to obtain a loan for real estate in Malaysia, Japan, Australia, the UK and Thailand.

In the Kingdom, you can apply for a loan, but it can only be used to purchase condominiums in the property at a price of 3 to 50 million baht. UOB will provide you with a loan of up to 70% of the purchase price, while you have to cover the remaining 30%.

There are not many requirements to apply for this loan. Applicants must be at least 21 years old and at least 65 years old at the end of the loan term. The minimum income for those living outside Thailand is $85,000 per year, while foreigners with a work permit in Thailand must earn only $60,000 per year. Citizens of Australia and Japan are not eligible to apply.

MBK Guarantee

Based in Thailand, MBK Guarantee can provide financing to international clients, although its terms are slightly different from those of UOB. Firstly, you may be wondering if MBK Guarantee has anything to do with the famous MBK mall in Bangkok. Both are part of MBK Group, a large conglomerate that does a little bit of everything.

As for the loan, MBK Guarantee will cover only 50% of the value of the property, which means that you will need to deposit the other half yourself. The minimum loan amount is 1 million baht, and repayment periods can range from one to ten years. The Company considers loan applications only from persons who will not be more than 70 years old at the end of the contract.

The only downside to using MBK Guarantee is that they will only provide mortgages for apartments on their list of approved projects. The list can be viewed on the company's website.

Other varients

Citizens of China and Hong Kong can apply for a mortgage through ICBC Bank Thailand. It should also be noted that the Bangkok Bank has terminated its program, which allowed foreigners to get a housing loan in Thailand.

All things considered, MBC Guarantee and UOB programs are a good alternative for those who are not ready to pay the entire amount for real estate at once.

Subscribe to newsletter