Thailand is chosen as a permanent place of residence by foreign citizens. Before renting or buying a property in Thailand, potential buyers look into the pros and cons of each region. As a result of such diligent research, the majority decides to move to one of the magnificent tropical islands of the country for permanent residence. However, which one should you choose? We suggest considering the most popular.
Phuket is located in the Andaman Sea and in the province of the same name. It covers an area of 540 km2 and is the largest island in Thailand. The distance between Phuket and the capital of Thailand, Bangkok, is 863 km.
Notably, three bridges connect the island with the mainland. Phuket has several vast beaches, which are very are popular among foreign tourists. Of course, there are also many elite resorts, spas, cafes, and restaurants in this paradise. Many residents of Phuket work in the tourism sector.
The maximum temperature from January to December is about 32°C, and the minimum is kept at around 23°C. Rains are only active between May and November.
Currently, the following housing units can be purchased here.
- A 46 m2 flat with one bedroom and one bathroom is sold for $185,430.
- A 30 m2 studio costs $ 94,750.
- A 42 m2 apartment with one bedroom and one bathroom can be purchased for $208,250.
- A 522 m2 villa with five bedrooms and five bathrooms can be purchased for $574,225.
- A house with a total area of 3,680 m2 with five bedrooms and four bathrooms can be bought for $6,862,000.
- A 170 m2 townhouse with three bedrooms and four bathrooms can be purchased for $ 258,500.
The total area Chang is 217 km2. It is located in the Gulf of Thailand and is part of the province of Trat. The distance between Chang and Bangkok is 350 km.
Among the local attractions, three beautiful waterfalls can be distinguished. Throughout the year the temperature here rarely changes, staying in range of 22 to 32 °C. The rainy season lasts from June to October.
Housing types that are being sold here right now:
- A 130 m2 house with three bedrooms and four bathrooms, which can be bought for $416,700;
- A 200 m2 villa with three bedrooms and four bathrooms, which can be purchased for $314,670;
- A 59 m2 apartment with one bedroom and one bathroom, which can be purchased for $117,800.
Koh Samui is located in Surat Thani Province, in the Gulf of Thailand. The distance between the island and the center of the province, the city of Surat Thani, is 35 km. As for Bangkok, it is about 700 km away from here.
Interestingly, there are 27 flights to Bangkok from the local airport, 23 of them can be taken every day. Planes also fly to Hong Kong, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Phuket, and Pattaya.
The area of the island is about 229 km2. Koh Samui draws attention of many foreign tourists, as there are many natural attractions such as coconut groves, coral reefs, and beaches with snow-white sand.
Also, agriculture and fishing take an important place in the development of the island's economy. Furthermore, tourism has been flourishing here since the 1980s. Currently, most of the locals are employed in the tourism sector as well.
Passenger and cargo ferries deliver passengers from here to the mainland, departing from the city of Nathon and from Lipa Noe Beach in Tong Yang Bay. Taking just an hour and a half to get to the mainland makes this kind of transport one of the most popular ways of travel among tourists.
The temperature here is always consistent. So, throughout the year, the thermometer columns here show from 25 to 32 °C. Sometimes from April to May the temperature rises to 35 °C. Most precipitation occurs in November.
What kind of housing is available on the island right now?
- A 58 m2 unit with one bedroom and one bathroom costs $45,650.
- An apartment of 118 m2 with two bedrooms and two bathrooms is sold for $370,375.
- A duplex of 128 m2 with two bedrooms and three bathrooms can be purchased for $109,000.
- A 113 m2 housing unit with two bedrooms and two bathrooms can be bought for $68,620.
- A 308 m2 villa with three bedrooms and four bathrooms can be purchased for $252,660.
- A 130 m2 villa with three bedrooms and two bathrooms costs $129,300.
Tau is located in Surat Thani Province, in the Gulf of Thailand. The area itself is rather small — just 21 km2. The island is separated from the mainland by 70 km of ocean. Additionally, Koh Samui is 65 km from Tau, while Bangkok city is 414 km away.
Catamarans and ferries go to the mainland and other islands nearby from Tau and back. Tau is the smallest island in the country; however, there are still many mountains and wild forests here. Tau is famous for its wide shore covered with fine white sands and warm transparent sea water. Of course, the local beaches are also popular with foreigners and even local tourists. This place is usually chosen by snorkelers and divers, meanwhile hikers pick Tau for its numerous ecological trails and viewing platforms.
Throughout the year, the temperature here is always consistent. The maximum temperature from January to December is 31°C, and the minimum is 23°C. The rainy season begins in June and lasts until November.
Real estate currently offered for purchase:
- A 200 m2 villa with four bedrooms and two bathrooms can be purchased for $391,000.
- A 300 m2 villa with four bedrooms and four bathrooms can be purchased for $577,000.
Phangan is part of Surat Thani Province and the Koh Samui Archipelago, which includes Tau, Koh Samui, and several smaller islands. Phangan is located in the Gulf of Thailand, 55 km away from the mainland, 15 km away from Koh Samui and 35 km away from Tau.
The total area of Phangan is 125 km2. Here there are many mountains that are covered with forests and several fascinating waterfalls.
Phangan’s tourism sector and agriculture are well-developed: coconuts are grown here on an industrial scale. Over the past few centuries, fishing has flourished on Phangan, which now supports the local economy.
There are multiple beaches covered with white sands on the island. The central part of Phangan is hilly, so the inhabitants settle along the coast.
More than half of the territory is occupied by national parks, in which many representatives of the local fauna enjoy the untouched tropical nature.
The climate is quite mild: no frosts or unbearable heat with the temperature hardly changing during the year. The maximum temperature from January to December is 32 °C, while the minimum is 24 °C. November is rich in precipitation.
Real estate for sale in Surat Thani province right now:
- A 58 m2 flat with one bedroom and one bathroom, which is sold for $45,702.
- An apartment of 31 m2 with one bedroom and one bathroom, which costs $31,618.
- A unit of 75 m2 with one bedroom and one bathroom, which costs $112,000.
- A 126 m2 villa with two bedrooms and two bathrooms, which is sold for $140,845.
- A 120 m2 villa with two bedrooms and two bathrooms, which can be purchased for $215,600.
It is up to you to decide whether you want to buy a villa, an apartment or a nice cozy studio in Thailand. There are different types of residential properties in the country. Whatever the choice, people who have already settled on one of the paradise islands of the Kingdom are certain that those who move here for permanent residence are unlikely to regret it.